Discretionary appointment of counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Termination of Parental Rights (State) - Birth Parents

Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 14-2-318 provides:


(a) The court may appoint counsel for any party who is indigent. Indigency shall be established by written affidavit signed and sworn to by the party or sworn testimony made a part of the record of the proceedings. The affidavit or sworn testimony shall state that the party is without sufficient money, property, assets or credit to employ counsel in his own behalf. The court may require further verification of financial condition as it deems necessary.

(b) Where petitioner is an authorized agency as defined by W.S. 14-2-308(a)(ii)(B), it shall pay for the costs of the action. Costs shall include: ... (ii) Attorney’s fee for an indigent party ...

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: no