Right to counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Guardianship/Conservatorship of Adults - Protected Person

The Kansas Probate Code requires courts to appoint counsel to represent the subject of a petition to appoint a guardian or conservator, Kan. Stat. Ann. §§ 59-3063(a)(3), 59-3077(c)(3), and grants courts the discretion to appoint counsel to represent the ward or conservatee in connection with certain related proceedings. Kan. Stat. Ann. §§ 59-3080-3082, 3084-3088. The court also has discretion to appoint counsel for a termination of guardianship. Kan. Stat. Ann. § 59-3091(f)(1).

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: no