Right to counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Abuse/Neglect/Dependency - Accused Parents

There is a right to counsel upon request for indigent parents in "child in need of care" (abuse/neglect) cases. Kan. Stat. Ann. § 38-2205(b).


The statute also requires courts to appoint counsel, regardless of indigency, for any parent who is a minor or who is mentally ill or disabled and who is an interested party in a child in need of care case. See Kan. Stat. Ann. § 38- 2205(b), (c). 

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: no