Civil Commitment - Cases
Vitek v. Jones, 445 U.S. 480 (1980).
Loertscher v. Van Hollen, No. 3:14-cv-00870 (W.D. Wis. 2014)
- Sara Ainsworth, Lawyers for Fetuses? Yes, It’s Absurd, But It’s Worse Than You Realize, RH Reality Check (Jan. 30, 2015), available at http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2015/01/30/lawyers-fetuses-yes-absurd-worse-realize/.
- Lorraine Bailey, Seventh Circuit Takes Up Wisconsin's 'Cocaine Mom' Law, Courthouse News (Oct. 26, 2017), available at https://www.courthousenews.com/seventh-circuit-takes-wisconsins-cocaine-mom-law/.
- Libby Copeland, Wisconsin Is Throwing Pregnant Women in Jail to Protect “Unborn Children”, Slate (Dec. 16, 2014), available at http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/12/16/tamara_loertscher_wisconsin_mother_is_thrown_in_jail_for_refusing_drug_treatment.html.
- Erik Eckholm, Case Explores Rights of Fetus Versus Mother, New York Times (Oct. 23, 2013), available at http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/24/us/case-explores-rights-of-fetus-versus-mother.html (discussing Beltran case, a predecessor case to Loertscher that challenged the same law in Wisconsin).
- Margo Kirchner, Court Watch: Cocaine Law Can Still Jail Pregnant Women, Urban Milwaukee (Sept. 11, 2017), available at http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2017/09/11/court-watch-cocaine-law-can-still-jail-pregnant-women/.