Right to counsel - truancy

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Other subject area

A court must appoint counsel pursuant to § 14-6-422(b) for "children in need of supervision" (which includes habitual truancy, as per the definition of "children in need of supervision" in § 14-6-402(a)(iv)). Pursuant to Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 14-6-422(b), if the child requests counsel and his parents, guardian, custodian or other person responsible for the child's support is able but unwilling to obtain counsel for the child, the court shall appoint counsel to represent the child and may direct reimbursement of counsel fees under Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 14-6-434(b)(v), (vi).

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: no