Right to counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Civil Commitment - Subject of Petition

"If the respondent does not have funds with which to employ an attorney or does not have the mental ability to secure the services of an attorney, the probate judge shall appoint an attorney, who may be the same person as the guardian ad litem, to represent the respondent."  Ala. Code § 22-52-4(a)


Another statute specifies that the judge "shall appoint an attorney to serve as the advocate in support of the petition to commit in all matters regarding a petition to commit."  Ala. Code § 22-52-5.

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: no