Right to counsel

Key_development Question_mark

Legislation, Paternity - Petitioner or Child

Where a biological mother of a child born out of wedlock seeks to consent to an adoption or execute a surrender and the putative father has not consented or joined the petition, the mother must file an affidavit of paternity, and if the putative father wishes to establish parental rights, the court sets a hearing and “The court shall appoint an attorney who is not the attorney for the putative father, the biological mother or the potential transferee agency or a potential adoptive parent to represent the child and to protect the child’s interests.”  Me. Rev. Stat. Ann. tit. 18-A, § 9-201(F).

Appointment of Counsel: categorical Qualified: yes