Housing General - Legislation
New York City Right to Counsel in Housing Legislation: Intro 214-A (all tenants and homeowners under 200% of federal poverty level)
Endorsements of and support for the bill:
- Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr.: http://www.eldiariony.com/2016/08/08/protejamos-a-los-inquilinos-de-la-ciudad/#ifrndnloc
- Experts Report (testimony from Dec 5 conference in support of bill): https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/righttocounselnyc/pages/23/attachments/original/1433130889/FINAL_expert_report.pdf?1433130889
Progessive Caucus of the New York City Council support of the bill
Andrew Scherer, The Price of Equal Justice: How Establishing a Right to Counsel for People Who Face Losing Their Homes Helps Tackle Economic Inequality, Impact Center for Public Interest Law, New York Law School, Vol 1 at 29 (2015), available at
- Independent Budget Office: http://www.ibo.nyc.ny.us/iboreports/2014housingcourtletter.pdf
- City Council Finance Department: http://civilrighttocounsel.org/uploaded_files/221/NYC_Council_Finance_Division_estimate.pdf
- SRR (City Bar): http://www2.nycbar.org/pdf/report/uploads/SRR_Report_Financial_Cost_and_Benefits_of_Establishing_a_Right_to_Counsel_in_Eviction_Proceedings.pdf.
Media coverage of bill passage:
- Doug Donovan, New York City Establishes Tenants' Right to Lawyer in Eviction Cases, Baltimore Sun (July 22, 2017), available at http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/investigations/bs-md-sun-investigates-tenants-20170721-story.html.
- Erin Durkin, Tenants Facing Eviction Will Get Lawyers Paid For By City, NY Daily News (July 20, 2017), available at http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-tenants-facing-eviction-lawyers-paid-city-article-1.3343046.
- Shibani Gokhale, City Bar, Others Laud Passage of Civil 'Gideon" Bill, New York Law Journal (July 21, 2017), available at http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/id=1202793645655/City-Bar-Others-Laud-Passage-of-Civil-Gideon-Bill?slreturn=20170621171933.
- Henry Grabar, New York Goes to the Mattress Against the Eviction Machine, Slate (July 21, 2017), available at http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/07/21/new_york_city_has_taken_up_the_fight_against_the_eviction_machine_in_a_big.html.
- Harlem World, Rep. Levine and Other Leaders Celebrate Passage of Landmark Tenants' Rights Bill (July 20, 2017), available at http://harlemworldmag.com/rep-levine-others-leaders-celebrate-passage-landmark-tenants-rights-bill/.
- Ben Lane, New York City Guarantees Legal Representation to Low-Income Tenants Facing Eviction, HousingWire (July 20, 2017), available at https://www.housingwire.com/articles/40752-new-york-city-guarantees-legal-representation-to-low-income-residents-facing-eviction.
- Mark Levine, Right to Counsel a Victory for New York City Tenants, City & State (July 20, 2017), available at http://cityandstateny.com/articles/opinion/right-to-counsel-a-victory-for-new-york-city-tenants.html.
- NY 1 News, Council Passes Bill to Give Free Help to Some in Housing Court (July 20, 2017), available at http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/politics/2017/07/20/right-to-counsel-bill-nyc-guarantees-representation-low-income-people-face-eviction.html
- Progressive Caucus of the New York City Council, New York City Council Passes Right to Counsel Legislation (July 20, 2017), available at https://nycprogressives.com/2017/07/20/new-york-city-council-passes-right-to-counsel-legislation/.
- Amanda Tukaj, City Council Passes 'Right to Counsel' for Low-Income Tenants in Housing Court, Gotham Gazette (July 20, 2017), available at http://www.gothamgazette.com/city/7076-city-council-passes-right-to-counsel-for-low-income-tenants-in-housing-court.
- Stephen Wishnia, Tenants Are Finally Getting the Right to an Attorney in Housing Court, Village Voice (July 20, 2017), available at https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/07/21/tenants-are-finally-getting-the-right-to-an-attorney-in-housing-court/.
Media coverage of Feb 12, 2017 support announcement by Mayor De Blasio:
- Press Releases:
- Oscar Perry Abello, Housing Court Just Got Easier for NYC Renters, Next City (Feb. 17, 2017), available at https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/nyc-tenants-eviction-lawyer-housing-court.
- AM New York, Editorial: A Strong Step By New York City To Help Tenants Keep Housing (Feb. 23, 2017), available at http://www.amny.com/opinion/editorial/a-way-to-help-tenants-in-new-york-city-1.13168462.
- Rebecca Baird-Remba, Mayor Announces More Affordable Housing, Legal Representation For Low-Income Tenants, New York YIMBY (Oct. 14, 2017), available at http://newyorkyimby.com/2017/02/mayor-announces-more-affordable-housing-legal-representation-for-low-income-tenants.html.
- Will Bredderman, Up For Re-Election, De Blasio Finally Bows to Push for Taxpayer-Funded Lawyers in Housing Court, NY Observer (Feb. 12, 2017), available at http://observer.com/2017/02/up-for-re-election-de-blasio-finally-bows-to-push-for-taxpayer-funded-lawyers-in-housing-court/.
- Mark Chiusano, A Lawyer Makes a Difference for a Day in Brooklyn Housing Court, amNY (Mar. 24, 2017), available at http://www.amny.com/opinion/columnists/mark-chiusano/a-lawyer-makes-a-difference-for-a-day-in-brooklyn-housing-court-1.13308756.
- Laurie Ann Doyon, Legal Defense: De Blasio Offers New Resource Against Evictions, Greenline (Mar. 1, 2017), available at https://northbrooklynnews.com/2017/03/01/legal-defense-de-blasio-offers-new-resource-against-evictions/.
- Laura Figueroa, De Blasio Offers Free Legal Help for NYC Tenants Facing Eviction, NY Newsday (Feb. 12, 2017), available at https://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/de-blasio-offers-free-legal-help-for-nyc-tenants-facing-eviction-1.13111780.
- Lauren Kaori Gurley, Home Sweet Home: Low-Income Tenants Win Right to Lawyer at Housing Court, The Indypendent (Feb. 21, 2017), available at https://indypendent.org/2017/02/21/home-sweet-home.
- Human Rights At Home Blog, A Human Rights Win for Tenants in New York City, Law Professors Blog Network (Feb. 16, 2017), available at http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/human_rights/2017/02/a-human-rights-win-for-tenants-in-new-york-city.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HumanRightsAtHome+%28Human+Rights+at+Home+Blog%29.
- Stephon Johnson, De Blasio Signs 'Right to Counsel' Bill, New York Amsterdam News (Feb. 23, 2017), available at http://amsterdamnews.com/news/2017/feb/23/de-blasio-signs-right-counsel-bill/.
- Zachary Kiesch, Some New Yorkers Facing Eviction May Get Free Lawyers, Fox 5 NY (Feb. 13, 2017), available at http://www.fox5ny.com/news/235608760-story.
- Nelson A. King, Tenants Get More Legal Aid, Caribbean Life News (Feb. 16, 2017), available at http://www.caribbeanlifenews.com/stories/2017/2/2017-02-17-nk-free-legal-services-cl.html.
- Amanda Mikelberg, City Will Guarantee Legal Aid to Low-Income New Yorkers Facing Eviction, Metro (Feb. 12, 2017), available at http://www.metro.us/new-york/city-will-guarantee-legal-aid-to-low-income-new-yorkers-facing-eviction/zsJqbl---IEZ6WOjZiUC9E/.
- Jarrett Murphy, Reactions to City Announcing Right to Counsel in Housing Court, City LImits (Feb. 13, 2017), available at http://citylimits.org/2017/02/13/reaction-to-city-announcing-right-to-counsel-in-housing-court/.
- New York Times Editorial Board, A Housing Solution: Lawyers for Tenants (Feb. 15, 2017), available at https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/15/opinion/a-housing-solution-lawyers-for-tenants.html?_r=0.
- Norwood News, Editorial: Right to Counsel Levels Playing Field (Feb. 18, 2017), available at http://www.norwoodnews.org/id=22786&story=editorial-right-to-counsel-levels-playing-field/.
- Gloria Pazmino, De Blasio, Mark-Viverito Announce Right to Counsel Initiative, Politico (Feb. 12, 2017), available at http://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2017/02/de-blasio-mark-viverito-announce-landmark-right-to-counsel-initiative-109542.
- Raphael Pope-Sussman, City Will Guarantee Legal Counsel to Low-Income Tenants in Housing Court, The Gothamist (Feb. 12, 2017), available at http://gothamist.com/2017/02/12/city_will_guarantee_legal_counsel_t.php.
- The Real Deal, City To Guarantee That Low-Income Tenants Get Lawyers in Housing Court (Feb. 13, 2017), available at https://therealdeal.com/2017/02/13/city-to-guarantee-lawyers-for-low-income-tenants-in-housing-court/.
- Right to Counsel Coalition of NYC, Press Release (Feb. 12, 2017), available at https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/righttocounselnyc/pages/22/attachments/original/1486929904/Press_Release_re_agreemnt_2-12-17.pdf?1486929904.
- Denis Slattery, Low-Income Tenants to Get Lawyer Provided by NYC in Housing Court Disputes, NY Daily News (Feb. 12, 2017), available at http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/poor-tenants-lawyer-nyc-housing-disputes-article-1.2970264
- Alexis Stephens, Can Other U.S. Cities Follow in NYC's Footsteps to Help Renters?, Next City (Feb. 21, 2017), available at https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/can-other-cities-follow-nyc-footsteps-help-renters-right-to-counsel.
Media coverage of Dec. 13, 2016 press conference:
- Amanda Mikelberg, Support Swells for 'Right to Counsel' for Low-Income New Yorkers Facing Eviction, Metro New York (Dec. 14, 2016), available at http://www.metro.us/new-york/support-swells-for-right-to-counsel-for-low-income-new-yorkers-facing-eviction/zsJpln---1TPbXKYZlU9FE/.
- Jaime Zea, Demand that City Council Approve Law 214-a (Dec. 14, 2016), available at http://www.ny1noticias.com/nyc/twc-ny1-noticias/noticias/2016/12/13/demandan-que-concejo-municipal-apruebe-ley-214-a.html.
Media coverage of Sept. 26, 2016 hearing:
- Kat Aaron, Tenants Push for Right to Counsel in Housing Court, WNYC (Sept. 26, 2016), available at http://www.wnyc.org/story/tenants-push-right-counsel-housing-court/.
- Anita Abedian, Low-Income Tenants May Soon Have a Right to an Attorney in Housing Court, Village Voice (Sept. 26, 2016), available at http://www.villagevoice.com/news/low-income-tenants-may-soon-have-the-right-to-an-attorney-in-housing-court-9153145.
- Andrew Denny, Low-Income Tenants' Right to Counsel Closer to Realization, New York Law Journal (Sept. 26, 2016), available at http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/id=1202768598533/LowIncome-Tenants-Right-to-Counsel-Closer-to-Realization?rss=rss_ny&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&slreturn=20160826212425.
- Ann Dibble, In Support of Intro 214-A, Huffington Post (Sept. 27, 2016), available at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/new-york-legal-assistance-group/in-support-of-intro-214-a_b_12215908.html.
- Jacob Gershman, New York City Considers Granting the Right to a Lawyer in Housing Court, Wall Street Journal (Sept. 26, 2016), available at http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2016/09/26/new-york-city-considers-granting-the-right-to-a-lawyer-in-housing-court/.
- Majlie de Puy Kamp, Low-Income Tenants May Get Right to Free Counsel, The Bronx Ink (Oct. 12, 2016), available at http://bronxink.org/2016/10/12/27381-low-income-tenants-may-get-right-to-free-counsel/.
- Gary Kane, City Considers Providing Free Lawyers To Tenants Facing Eviction, Metro New York (Sept. 27, 2016), available at http://www.metro.us/new-york/city-considers-providing-free-lawyers-to-tenants-facing-eviction/zsJpiA---TXueQlQJygKpE/.
- Joe Patrice, The Right to An Attorney ... In Housing Court, Above The Law (Sept. 27, 2016), available at http://abovethelaw.com/2016/09/the-right-to-an-attorney-in-housing-court/.
- Pia Charlotta Peterson, Tenants Voice Hope and Concern at the Right to Counsel Hearing, medium.com (Oct. 3, 2016), available at https://medium.com/@pcp2116/tenants-voice-hope-and-concern-at-the-right-to-counsel-hearing-d0b366f7aca2#.ufvq3p2vm.
- Jessica Silver-Greenberg, For Tenants Facing Eviction, New York May Guarantee a Lawyer, NY Times (Sept. 26, 2016), available at http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/27/nyregion/legal-aid-tenants-in-new-york-housing-court.html.
- Steven Wishnia, NYC Council Kicks Off Hearings on Free Counsel For Poor Tenants, Gothamist (Sept. 27, 2016), available at http://gothamist.com/2016/09/27/council_tenants_rights.php.
Media coverage in general:
- Oscar Perry Abello, More New Yorkers Facing Eviction Are Getting Lawyers, Next City (Sept. 13, 2016), available at https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/nyc-legal-aid-for-tenants-now-at-unprecedented-levels.
- Eleanor J. Bader, New York City Activists Mobilize For Right to Counsel in Eviction, Truthout (Jan. 5, 2015), available at http://truth-out.org/news/item/28318-new-york-activists-mobilize-for-right-to-counsel-in-eviction.
- Victoria Bekiempis, Housing: The Other Civil Rights Movement, Newsweek (Dec. 11, 2014), available at http://www.newsweek.com/should-there-be-free-lawyers-housing-court-289660.
- Victoria Bekiempis, How Much Will Free Housing Lawyers Cost New York City?, Newsweek (Dec. 16, 2014), available at http://www.newsweek.com/how-much-will-free-housing-lawyers-cost-new-york-city-292095.
- Susanna Blankley and Andrew Scherer, Right to Counsel in Housing Court: The Bottom Line, Huffington Post New York (Apr. 18, 2016), available at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/new-york-legal-assistance-group/right-to-counsel-in-housi_b_9720712.html.
- Will Bredderman, De Blasio Says Right to Counsel in Civil Court ‘on the Horizon’—But Only if Feds Pay, New York Observer (Sept. 29, 2015), available at http://observer.com/2015/09/de-blasio-says-right-to-counsel-in-civil-court-on-the-horizon-but-only-if-feds-pay/.
- Bowery Boogie, CB3 Backs Bill Providing Right to Counsel for Low-Income Tenants Facing Eviction (Nov. 20, 2015), available at http://www.boweryboogie.com/2015/11/cb3-backs-bill-providing-right-to-counsel-for-low-income-tenants-facing-eviction/.
- Will Bredderman, Facing GOP State Senate, Gibson and Levine Push Tenant Lawyer Law, New York Observer (Dec. 5, 2014), available at http://observer.com/2014/12/facing-gop-state-senate-gibson-and-levine-push-tenant-lawyer-law/.
- Ray Brescia, Lawyers: Bulwark Against Inequality and Gentrification?, Huffington Post Blog (Apr. 11, 2016), available at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ray-brescia/lawyers-bulwark-against-i_b_9654046.html.
- Bronx Chronicle, New York City Comptroller Scott M. Stringer Visits Bronx Housing Court To Discuss Right To Counsel For New Yorkers Facing Eviction Or Foreclosure (Feb. 5, 2015), available at http://thebronxchronicle.com/2015/02/05/new-york-city-comptroller-scott-m-stringer-visits-bronx-housing-court-discuss-right-counsel-new-yorkers-facing-eviction-foreclosure/.
- City and State Editorial Board, The Best Ideas To Come Out Of New York Politics in 2016 (Dec. 20, 2016), available at http://cityandstateny.com/articles/politics/new-york-state-articles/the-best-ideas-in-new-york-politics-in-2016.html#.WFqq4sdV83S.
- Patrick Clark, How To Solve the Housing Crisis: More Lawyers, Bloomberg (Apr. 8, 2016), available at http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-08/how-to-solve-the-housing-crisis-more-lawyers.
- David Cruz, Comptroller Stringer, Outside Bronx Housing Court, Backs Right to Counsel Bill, Norwood News (Feb. 4, 2015), available at http://www.norwoodnews.org/id=16939&story=comptroller-stringer-outside-bronx-housing-court-backs-right-to-counsel-bill/.
- Ted De Barbieri, Time for a Right to Counsel for New Yorkers Facing Eviction, Foreclosure, Huffington Post Blog (April 3, 2015), available at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ted-de-barbieri/time-for-a-right-to-couns_b_6995810.html.
- Andrew Denny, Savings Seen From Right to Counsel In Eviction Cases, New York Law Journal (Apr. 11, 2016), available at http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/id=1202754519869/Savings-Seen-From-Right-to-Counsel-in-Eviction-Cases?slreturn=20160312145403.
- Ruben Diaz Jr., Give Low-Income Tenants a Fair Chance in Housing Court, NY Slant (May 3, 2016), available at http://nyslant.com/article/opinion/give-low-income-tenants-a-fair-chance-in-housing-court.html.
- Editorial Board, A Right to A Lawyer to Save Your Home, NY Times (Sept. 23, 2016), available at http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/opinion/a-right-to-a-lawyer-to-save-your-home.html?mwrsm=Email&_r=1.
- Erik Engquist, City-Funded Lawyers Tasked With Preventing Evictions Would Save Taxpayers Money, Study Finds, Crains New York Business (Apr. 28, 2016), available at http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20160428/BLOGS04/160429876.
- Beth Finkel, Pass Bill to Provide Lawyers for Tenants Facing Eviction, Times Ledger (Jan. 14, 2017), available at http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2017/2/finkel_2017_01_13_q.html.
- Jacob Gershman, New York Mayor Says Right to Counsel in Civil Cases is a Good Idea but Requires Federal Help, Wall Street Journal Blog (Sept. 29, 2015), available at http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2015/09/29/new-york-mayor-says-right-to-counsel-in-civil-cases-is-a-good-idea-but-requires-federal-help/.
- Emily Jane Goodman, Right to Counsel in Housing Court Is Right Thing To Do, New York Law Journal (Jan. 7, 2015), available at http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/home/id=1202714017553/Right-to-Counsel-in-Housing-Court-Is-Right-Thing-to-Do?mcode=1202615068769&curindex=0&slreturn=20150005190451.
- Colby Hamilton, Levine Questions IBO Estimate of Housing-Counsel Bill, Capitol New York (Dec. 15, 2014), available at http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/city-hall/2014/12/8558548/levine-questions-ibo-estimate-housing-counsel-bill (subscribers only).
Harlem World, Harlem's Mark Levine And Other Elected Provide Legal Representation for Low-Income Tenants (Sept. 23, 2016), available at http://harlemworldmag.com/harlems-mark-levine-electeds-provide-legal-representation-low-income-tenants/.
HOUSING JUSTICE: What the Experts are Saying On New Yorkers’ Right to Counsel in Eviction Proceedings (June 1, 2015), available at https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/righttocounselnyc/pages/23/attachments/original/1433130889/FINAL_expert_report.pdf?1433130889.
- How Housing Matters, Better Housing Options, Better Legal Advice Could Turn Eviction Tide (Feb. 10, 2015), available at http://howhousingmatters.org/articles/better-housing-options-better-legal-advice-turn-eviction-tide/.
- David Jones, Urban Agenda: Eviction Prevention Is Good Housing Policy, New York Amsterdam News (Oct. 6, 2016), available at http://amsterdamnews.com/news/2016/oct/06/eviction-prevention-good-housing-policy/?page=2.
- Jillian Jorgensen, More New Yorkers Facing Eviction Have Lawyers, But No Right to Counsel Yet, NY Observer (Aug. 30, 2016), available at http://observer.com/2016/08/more-new-yorkers-facing-eviction-have-lawyers-but-no-right-to-counsel-yet/.
- Reena Karasin, New York City Sees Record Homeless Population, Spare Change News (Dec. 5, 2016), available at http://sparechangenews.net/2016/12/new-york-city-sees-record-homeless-population/.
- Samir Khurshid, Push to Expand Your Right To An Attorney Gains Momentum, Gotham Gazette (Feb. 12, 2015), available at http://www.gothamgazette.com/index.php/government/5571-push-to-expand-your-right-to-an-attorney-gains-momentum-levine-mark-viverito-de-blasio.
- John Kiernan, President's Column: Toward a Right to Counsel for Housing Court Defendants, NYC Bar (Sept. 26, 2016), available at http://www.nycbar.org/media-listing/media/detail/toward-a-right-to-counsel-for-housing-court-defendants-by-john-s-kiernan.
- Brian Lehrer Show, The Tale of Two Housing Courts (Mar. 28, 2014), available at http://www.wnyc.org/story/tale-two-housing-courts/.
- Corinne Lestch, Council Members, Advocates Call On City to Provide Low-Income Tenants With Attorneys in Housing Court, NY Daily News (June 11, 2014), available at http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/council-members-advocates-call-city-provide-low-income-tenants-attorneys-housing-court-blog-entry-1.1825662.
- Mark Levine and Jaron Benjamin, Opinion: Justice Denied: A Call for Action in Our City's Housing Courts, Gotham Gazette (June 10, 2014), available at http://www.gothamgazette.com/index.php/opinions/5094-justice-denied-call-action-housing-courts-attorney-levine-benjamin.
- Mark Levine and Mary Brosnahan, Op-Ed: How To Fight Homelessness, New York Times (Oct. 19, 2015), available at http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/19/opinion/how-to-fight-homelessness.html.
- Kelsey Louie, CityViews: Defeating AIDS Requires Ending Homelessness, City LImits (Nov. 2, 2016), available at http://citylimits.org/2016/11/01/cityviews-defeating-aids-requires-ending-homelessness/#.
- Brandi Lupo, New York City Consideres a "Civil Gideon" For Housing Court, RegBlog (Mar. 11, 2015), available at http://www.regblog.org/2015/03/11/lupo-nyc-civil-gideon/.
- Luca Marzorati, Council Members Push for Housing Council, Citing Garner, Capital New York (Dec. 5, 2014), available at http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/city-hall/2014/12/8557987/council-members-push-housing-counsel-citing-garner.
- Jarrett Murphy, Who's Supporting a Right to Counsel in Housing Court?, CityLimits (Dec. 8, 2016), available at http://citylimits.org/2016/12/08/whos-supporting-a-right-to-counsel-in-housing-court/.
- National Courts Monitor, 'Civil Gideon' Finding Support From NYC Council (Oct. 13, 2016), available at http://nationalcourtsmonitor.com/cases/civil-gideon-finding-support-from-nyc-council/.
- Mireya Navarro, Push to Provide Lawyers in New York City Housing Court Gains Momentum, New York Times (Dec. 16, 2014), available at http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/17/nyregion/push-to-provide-lawyers-in-new-york-city-housing-court-gains-momentum.html?_r=0.
- News12, Bill Could Help Low-Income Tenants in Housing Court (Feb. 5, 2015), available at http://bronx.news12.com/news/legislation-could-require-legal-representation-for-low-income-tenants-in-housing-court-1.9907443.
- New York Real Estate Blog, More New Yorkers Have Representation: City Report Reveals Major Increase in the Number of Tenants in Housing Court Who Have Representation (Sept. 8, 2016), available at http://www.nyrealestatelawblog.com/Manhattan-Litigation-Blog/2016/September/MORE-NEW-YORKERS-HAVE-REPRESENTATION.aspx.
- Rebecca Davis O'Brien, New York Officials Push Right to Counsel in Civil Cases, Wall Street Journal (Apr. 5, 2015), available with subscription at http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-officials-push-right-to-counsel-in-civil-cases-1428278799.
- Lillian Ortiz, Leveling the Playing Field for Tenants Facing Eviction, Rooflines (Apr. 22, 2016), available at http://www.rooflines.org/4450/leveling_the_playing_field_for_tenants_facing_eviction/.
- Kate Pastor, Action Stalls on Bill to Provide Lawyers in Housing Court, CityLimits (Apr. 8, 2015), available at http://citylimits.org/2015/04/08/action-stalls-on-bill-to-provide-lawyers-in-housing-court/.
- K. Greg Peterson, NYC Pushing for Right to Counsel for Poor Tenants in Housing Court, K. Greg's Blog (Dec. 24, 2014), available at http://kgregpeterson.wordpress.com/2014/12/24/nyc-pushing-for-right-to-counsel-for-poor-tenants-in-housing-court/.
- John Pollock, Letter to the Editor, New York Times (Jan. 2, 2016), available at http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/02/opinion/for-the-homeless-help-and-a-steady-job.html.
- Abigail Savitch-Lew, Advocates Like, and Critique, de Blasio's Homeless Plan, City Limits (Apr. 13, 2016), available at http://citylimits.org/2016/04/13/advocates-like-and-critique-de-blasios-homeless-plan/.
- Andrew Scherer, Letter to the Editor, New York Daily News (Sept. 27, 2015), available at http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/sept-27-bikes-tenants-yogi-berra-article-1.2374080.
- Andrew Scherer, Letter to the Editor, New York Times (Sept. 11, 2015), available at http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/11/opinion/homeless-in-new-york-ways-to-help.html?ref=opinion.
- Cristina Schrell, Amid Housing Woes, Tenants Want a Voice, Queens Chronicle (May 7, 2015), available at http://www.qchron.com/editions/western/amid-housing-woes-tenants-want-a-voice/article_8f9ef59f-ec5a-58ec-b6cd-3437a78bcc06.html.
- Virginia K. Smith, New Bill Would Guarantee New Yorkers An Attorney in Eviction Cases, Brick Underground (Sept. 21, 2016), available at http://www.brickunderground.com/rent/right-to-counsel-bill-NYC.
- Steve Straehley, Should Right to an Attorney Extend to Eviction Cases?, AllGov (Dec. 15, 2014), available at http://www.allgov.com/news/controversies/should-right-to-an-attorney-extend-to-eviction-cases-141215?news=855103.
- Jessica Soultanian-Braunstein, Intro 214 "Right to Counsel" Bill Gains Citywide Support, NYLS CityLand (Oct. 13, 2015), available at http://www.citylandnyc.org/intro-214-right-to-counsel-bill-garners-support-from-across-the-city/.
- WBAI Morning Show, Right to Counsel in NYC Housing Court (Apr. 21, 2016), available at https://www-tracey.archive.org/details/AndrewSchererInt42116MGH (audio broadcast).
- Spencer Wells, Legal Representation in Housing Court Gains Traction as Evictions Abound, Nonprofit Quarterly (Sept. 13, 2016), available at https://nonprofitquarterly.org/2016/09/20/legal-representation-housing-court-gaining-traction-evictions-abound/.
- Catherine Yang, Balancing the Scales at NYC Housing Court, Epoch Times (June 12, 2014), available at http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/731986-balancing-the-scales-at-nyc-housing-court/?photo=4.
- Alyssa Zauderer and Sonia Moghe, Law Would Give Tenants Free Attorneys in Housing Court, PIX11 (June 1, 2014), available at http://pix11.com/2014/06/01/law-would-give-tenants-free-attorneys-in-housing-court/.